Varicose veins are a common condition that affects millions of people worldwide. If left untreated they can cause pain, discomfort & may lead to more serious health issues like ulcers & deep vein thrombosis (DVT).
Here, we will discuss about the cause of varicose veins, its symptoms & complications, how to prevent varicose veins, importance & types of varicose veins treatment, the best varicose vein clinic in Mumbai & expertise of Dr. Amit Sahu in this field.
What are Varicose Veins?
Usually veins in leg carry impure blood (deoxygenated) from feet towards the heart. They have valves to help carry this blood in one direction. At times, there may be weakness or absence of these valves which allows the blood to flow in reverse direction & get collected in the veins in leg.
As the pressure in these veins rises from the collected blood, patients may start to experience symptoms of varicose veins.
How many types of varicose veins are there?
Varicose veins are enlarged, twisted, and often swollen veins that usually occur in the legs and feet.
They develop when the valves within the veins that help regulate blood flow become weak or damaged, causing blood to pool and the veins to become stretched and distorted.
There are different types of varicose veins based on their location and characteristics:
Here’s a list of types of varicose veins with brief descriptions:
- Trunk Varicose Veins: Large, twisted veins on legs causing pain and swelling.
- Reticular Varicose Veins: Small network of blue/green veins beneath skin’s surface.
- Spider Veins (Telangiectasias): Small, visible red/blue veins resembling a spider’s web.
- Pelvic Varicose Veins: Painful veins in pelvis/groin, exacerbated during periods or pregnancy.
- Perforator Varicose Veins: Dysfunction in veins that connect surface to deep veins.
- Bulging Veins: Enlarged veins causing lumps under skin; can be varicose.
- Secondary Varicose Veins: Result from conditions like DVT or venous insufficiency.
Remember that proper medical evaluation is important for accurate diagnosis and treatment recommendations.
What are the Stages of Varicose Veins?
Symptoms of Varicose Veins
Patients with varicose veins may experience:
- Purplish, knotted, prominent veins in the legs
- Pain (aching or cramping feeling)
- Heaviness or tiredness on standing for long time
- Swelling , throbbing sensation in legs
- Itching in the legs
They may also develop complications like:
- Tender areas, redness around prominent veins
- Skin blackening, thickening
- Skin ulcers, wounds
- Bleeding from prominent veins
- Deep Vein Thrombosis – a very serious condition of clotting in deeper veins where leg may suddenly swell up, become painful
Measures to prevent, control progression of Varicose Veins
Certain measures may help relieve discomfort from existing varicose veins & prevent others from arising:
- Exercise regularly to improve leg strength & circulation (walking is ideal)
- Avoid standing for long periods of time
- Avoid sitting with legs down continuously
- If possible, try to elevate your legs
- Avoid clothings which are very tight around the waist & calf
- Avoid wearing high heels
- Control weight to avoid placing increased pressure on leg circulation
“These measures , however, DO NOT treat the underlying cause of the disease, so varicose veins may enlarge & worsen over time. Legs, feet may begin to swell & sensations of pain, heaviness, burning or tenderness may occur.
If & when this happens : CONSULT an Interventional Radiologist like Dr. Amit Sahu immediately”
Can Varicose Veins be Treated?
YES, Varicose veins can be effectively treated
What are Treatment Options for Varicose Veins?
The choice of treatment is decided based on various clinical & imaging factors on individual basis after thorough evaluation. Services Offered by Dr. Amit Sahu to treat varicose veins:
- EndoVenous Laser Treatment (EVLT or EVLA)
- Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA)
- Non thermal treatments like VenaSeal, ClariVein
Importance of Varicose Veins Treatment
Varicose veins treatment is essential to prevent complications & improve the quality of life for patients. It can help to relieve symptoms such as pain, swelling, discomfort & prevent more serious health issues such as blood clots & ulcers.
Varicose Veins Laser Treatment in Mumbai
Endovenous laser treatment (EVLT) is a minimally invasive procedure used to treat varicose veins. It involves the use of laser to heat & close the affected vein, which then redirects blood flow to healthy veins.
Endovenous laser treatment is currently one of the most advanced, time tested treatments worldwide for varicose veins with proven long term benefits.
Varicose Veins VenaSeal Treatment in Mumbai
It is the latest treatment option available at present which uses a glue based mechanism to close the veins (while EVLT uses laser energy for same result).
It is faster to perform compared to EVLT & has good short, medium term results (up to 5 years data is available internationally on results of VenaSeal).
How is EVLT, VenaSeal Better than Surgery?
Interventional treatments offer various advantages over surgery:
- They are day care procedures
- They are minimally invasive
- They are pinhole procedures
- They have No cuts, incisions or stitches
- They have No scars as with surgery
- They have Faster Recovery , no ‘down time’ or rest needed
- They allows you to return to routine work immediately
Best Varicose Vein Clinic in Mumbai
Dr. Amit Sahu is highly skilled & amongst leading varicose veins specialist in Mumbai, with vast experience in the diagnosis & treatment of varicose veins. He has extensive expertise in endovenous laser, sclerotherapy & VenaSeal treatments.
He is known for his patient-centric approach, personalised treatment plans & commitment to delivering the highest quality care.
Dr. Amit Sahu is fellowship trained in Interventional Radiology & Interventional Neuro-Radiology. He has received training from one of the best centres in India (KEM Hospital, Mumbai) & USA (Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore).
He employs the latest techniques to provide the best possible outcomes for his patients.
Varicose veins are a common condition that requires detailed assessment & specialised treatment. India has some of the best varicose vein clinics & specialists in Mumbai, including Dr. Amit Sahu.
If you or a loved one is experiencing symptoms of varicose veins, seek immediate medical attention from a qualified & experienced doctor such as Dr. Amit Sahu.