Liver cancer is a serious condition that requires expert multidisciplinary medical care. It is crucial to seek the best possible treatment options in a timely manner to improve the chances of a successful outcome.
In this article, we will discuss about liver cancer, the importance & types of liver cancer treatment, the best liver cancer treatment doctors in Mumbai & the expertise of Dr. Amit Sahu in this field.
Role of Liver in Body
The liver is the largest solid organ in the body. It removes toxins from the body’s blood supply, maintains healthy blood sugar levels, regulates blood clotting & performs hundreds of other vital functions important for day to day functioning of our body.
What are Liver Cancers?
Cancer is a disease in which abnormal cells divide uncontrollably & destroy body tissue. They may develop directly from liver (primary) or may spread to liver from other organs (secondary). Most common liver cancer is Hepato-Cellular Carcinoma (HCC).
How Common are Liver Cancers?
- They are the fifth most common cancer in the world
- They are third most common cause of cancer related death
Who are at Risk of having Liver Cancers?
Behaviours & Conditions that increase risk for getting liver cancer are:
- Being overweight or having obesity
- Having a long-term hepatitis B or C infection
- Cigarette smoking
- Drinking alcohol
- Cirrhosis (scarring of the liver, which can also be caused by hepatitis & alcohol use)
- Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD)
- Haemochromatosis: A condition where the body takes up & stores more iron than it needs.
- Eating foods that have Aflatoxin (a fungus that can grow on foods, such as grains & nuts that have not been stored properly).
How can you reduce risk for Liver Cancer?
You can lower your risk of getting liver cancer in the following ways:
- Keep a healthy weight
- Get vaccinated against Hepatitis B. The Hepatitis B vaccine is recommended for all infants at birth & for adults who may be at increased risk
- Get tested for Hepatitis C & get medical care if you have it
- Don’t smoke or quit if you do
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol
What are common symptoms of Liver Cancer?
Most people don’t have signs & symptoms in the early stages of primary liver cancer, thus delaying early detection.
When signs & symptoms do appear, they may include:
- Losing weight, without trying
- Loss of appetite
- Upper abdominal pain
- Nausea & vomiting
- General weakness & fatigue
- Abdominal swelling
- Yellow discoloration of your skin & the white part of your eyes (jaundice)
- White, chalky stools
How to detect Liver Tumors?
When liver cancer is suspected various investigations may be performed to confirm the diagnosis & may include:
- Blood Investigations
- CT Scan
- MRI Scan
- Biopsy of the Liver mass
Importance of Liver Cancer Treatment
Liver cancer treatment is essential to remove or destroy cancer cells, prevent further growth, spread of cancer & preserve liver function.
What determines treatment of liver tumors?
Treatment options depend on various factors :
- Condition of the patient
- Type of liver cancer
- Status of liver function
- Tumor burden & spread
Early detection & treatment are crucial for improving outcomes & quality of life.
When tumor is confined to liver & liver is healthy?
This situation offers best possibility of cure of tumor by:
- Surgical Removal of tumor
- Liver Transplant
- Ablation of tumor – A non-surgical interventional modality to achieve cure using thermal energy to destroy tumor
Other options when surgery or ablation cannot be done
When tumor is still limited to the liver, Loco-Regional Interventional Treatments can be done to improve survival. These include:
- Trans-Arterial ChemoEmbolization (TACE): In this chemotherapy drugs are injected selectively into the blood vessels feeding the liver tumors. This allow high concentration of drug into the tumor with minimal or no side-effects.
- Trans-Arterial RadioEmbolization (TARE or SIRT): In this radio-active material (Y-90) is injected into the tumor. This helps to destroy tumor cells by giving off radiation.
These are non-surgical, pin-hole procedures performed by an Interventional Radiologist like Dr. Amit Sahu.
It usually requires admission for 2-3 days.
Treatment option for patients with Liver Cancer spread outside liver
When tumor is spread outside the liver, it is considered to be advanced.
There are few treatment options in this stage:
- Systemic therapies
- Immuno therapies
- Best supportive care
Best Liver Cancer Treatment Doctors in Mumbai
India have some of the best liver cancer treatment doctors in Mumbai. Dr. Amit Sahu is amongst leading liver cancer specialist in Mumbai for Interventional treatment of liver cancer, with extensive experience in the diagnosis & treatment of liver cancer.
He is known for his expertise in liver cancer interventions (like ablation, TACE, etc.), personalised treatment plans & compassionate patient care.
Services Offered by Dr. Amit Sahu
Dr. Amit Sahu has a vast experience in Interventional Radiology Procedures to manage liver cancer like:
- Ablation : MicroWave-MWA, RadioFrequency-RFA
- Transarterial Chemoembolization : TACE (cTACE & DEBTACE)
- Transarterial Radioembolization : TARE or SIRT
- Portal Vein Embolization : PVE
- He also performs procedures like percutaneous biliary drainage (PTBD) & biliary stenting in patients with malignant or benign biliary obstruction, bile leak.
Best Liver Cancer Treatment in Mumbai
Dr. Amit Sahu works with a team of highly qualified & experienced liver specialists (hepatologist, gastroenterologist) & surgeons, who provide comprehensive care for patients with liver cancer in a multidisciplinary fashion.
Dr. Amit Sahu & his team use the latest techniques & technologies to deliver personalised treatment plans that are tailored to each patient’s unique needs.
Dr. Amit Sahu along with Liver Cancer Treatment team in Mumbai is dedicated to providing the best possible outcomes for patients with liver cancer.
They are committed to delivering compassionate care, support & guidance to patients & their families throughout the treatment process.
Liver cancer is a complex & serious condition that requires expert medical care. Mumbai has some of the best liver cancer treatment doctors in India, including Dr. Amit Sahu.
If you or a loved one is diagnosed with liver cancer, seek immediate medical attention from a qualified & experienced doctor such as Dr. Amit Sahu.